Building Healthy Places Workshop – Community Conversation with Ed McMahon, ULI Senior Fellow« Back to Events
- March 13, 2014 8:30 am
- March 13, 2014 2:00 pm
- AIA Miami Offices
100 NE 1st Avenue, Suite 100, Miami, FL, 33132, United States
Case Study: Creating a Healthy Place in Miami’s Urban Core
Across America, ULI’s Building Healthy Places Initiative has assisted in bringing leaders together in discussions and projects that make the link between healthy environments and conscientious land use. Now, as part of a statewide program, Florida’s five District Councils are conducting community workshops to form case studies to better understand what’s working-and what’s not-in communities around Florida. We are seeking input from local public, private, and civic organizations who are promoting community health…and we need your help!
ULI SE Florida/Caribbean is hosting the state’s first workshop on March 13. With your guidance, we hope to bring together all the assets and initiatives currently happening in our community.
This workshop is FREE and open to the first 50 registrants.
8:30 AM Registration & Networking
9:10 AM Overview of Building Healthy Places by Ed McMahon
9:40 PM Expert Discussion
Presentation of Building Healthy Places Indicators – Download Presentation Part 1 - Download Presentation Part 2
Discussion: What factors make an urban core a healthy place?
Moderator: Ed McMahon
- Active Design Guidelines, Housing & Green Infrastructure – Cheryl Jacobs, Executive Vice President, AIA Miami
- Quality of Life & the Public Realm: Art, Amenities & Open Space – Jack Kardys, Director, Miami-Dade Parks, Recreation & Open Space
- Jobs, Innovation & Education – Chris Sopher, Journalism Program Associate, Knight Foundation
- Complete Streets/Walkability – Jessica Josselyn, Associate Planner, Kittelson & Associates, Inc.
- Access to Healthcare & Healthy Foods – Karen Weller, RN, BSN, MBA-HSM, Director Office of Community Health and Planning, Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County
- Real and Perceived Safety – Ken Stapleton, President & CEO, Stapleton & Associates, Inc.
11:00 AM Break
11:15 AM Miami’s Urban Core: A local case study – Download Presentation
Overview by Alyce Robertson, Executive Director, Miami DDA
12:00 PM Working Lunch Session: Application of BHP Factors to Urban Core
Questions: How would you recommend applying the factors that make
urban cores healthier places to Miami’s urban core? How would these factors impact the built environment? Who should implement them?
1:30 PM Key Recommendations Wrap-Up
2:00 PM Adjourn