Fort Lauderdale’s history with the New River goes back
to 1838 when Tennessee Volunteers, under Major William
Lauderdale, constructed Fort Lauderdale on the banks of
the river. Frank Stranaham arrived 55 years later and, over
the following years, established a permanent trading post
at the site of the historic Stranahan House. That marked the
beginning of the City of Fort Lauderdale.